Sunday, September 23, 2007

About Me!

Hello everyone!
My name is Jana (pronounced Yana). I was born in former Yugoslavia and moved to Long Island NY at the age of 4 and a half. I have a younger brother who is turning 14 and has just jumped into the teenage realm. His voice has mutated over the summer and has lost his signature giggle. We live with our parents along with a silly white dog and affectionate speckled cat.
Over the years I have participated in two sports: swimming and volleyball. I was on the school's volleyball team for four years and on the club swim team for six. Along those lines, I was a swim instructor for 5 years and taught little kids (ages 5-12) for two hours every Sunday.
Last year, I got involved with the school yearbook as an editor. Even though it was time consuming, it was fantastic! Often before deadlines, I would stay after school from 3-9 working on the computer and would be the last one to leave. The experience was worth it. I got to learn how to use programs like Quark (this year they are switching to inDesign) and then I was able to use that to put together the Cinnabar Art Literary Magazine.
Art is a large part of me. I enjoy painting, drawing, layout design, sculpture and photography. I never planned on majoring in it but through the GW PAS program I will need to. Thus I am currently double majoring in the fine arts and undecided.
I love to travel. I spent two summers of high school in Serbia and Macedonia visiting family. Both summers were incredible. (For anyone wishing to travel there, check out Ohrid, the EXIT festival and the Guca festival on Google.) Last year I received my US citizenship and so I can now travel more than ever before. This summer was the best summer so far. I went on a Eurotrip with my four best friends: Shaul, Filip, Foley, and Lily. We went through France, Belgium, Germany (Lily left for Bulgaria after Germany), Italy and Austria. Then we split up, Shaul and Foley went to Poland, while Filip and I went to visit family in Serbia. Filip stayed in Beograd while I went to Novi Sad, Macedonia (Skopje) and then up to visit him before our return flight. The whole trip was five weeks long and was unforgettable!
Other than traveling and art, I enjoy watching films, doing ballroom dancing, reading and listening to all kinds of music (though I don't generally listen to country, hip hop or rap). I love Trader Joes, Photoshop, Risk, chopsticks, Scrabble, Nutella, Eddie Izzard, baklava and raving with strobe lights in the rain.

Hopefully you got a small taste of who I am, and I'll see you in UW!

The blog I will be following is "the Painting Activist
describing the world with a paintbrush" http://www.ashleycecil.com/
I thought it would be appropriate because the lady uses her paintings to touch upon social issues.

2 comments:

caroline said...

Good post! I love your list of films, too. You've got several of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Hello from a floormate using your computer at the moment.

Can you guess who I am? No? Muahahahaha!